Recycling e-waste and other hazardous materials

search recycling options Opens in new window

Where To Recycle

Disposal Options

Using Earth 911 and search by zip code to find locations that accept and recycle more than 350 products and materials, using Earth 911, one of North America’s most extensive recycling databases. Or, dial 1-800-CLEANUP

How to Recycle or dispose of Large Appliances  A refrigerator or large appliance, with FreonTM or refrigerant removed, requires a $10 large item sticker and a call to Vogel Disposal, 724-625-1511 for a special pickup. Please review requirements for Freon™ removal  It MUST be removed before scheduling pickup.

Effective January 24, 2013, Pennsylvania’s Covered Device Recycling Act enacted a ban on the disposal of electronic items because of the health and safety impacts of hazardous materials associated with them. Items covered under the Act cannot be disposed of in landfills.  Banned items include televisions, desktop or notebook computer, computer monitor, server, computer peripherals such as mice, keyboard, printer, scanner, and other devices with input or output from the computer. These items are not collected at the curb by our trash hauler. Batteries, ink and toner cartridges, motor oil, and many home and garden products also contain ingredients that are harmful to the environment and should not be thrown away in the regular trash. 

Additional Resources

Environmental Coordination Services & Recycling Inc (ECS&R) Butler Recycling Center. Fees apply. 

Evolution E-Cycling at Guardian Storage. No televisions or monitors. Fees apply. 

Butler County Recycling & Waste Management

1-800-GOT-JUNK  will come to your home to remove/recycle electronics. Fees apply.

Commercial Recycling

Pennsylvania Resources Council

Recycling Guide Opens in new window

Recycling is important, but it can be complicated

What can’t go in your curbside bin? How many times can something be recycled? What about really large or dangerous items? 

For recycling information: Automotive, Construction, Glass, Plastic, Household Waste, Metal, Electronics, Paper and Household items, click here

October 2020

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
View All

What Is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

HHW are products found in the home that are flammable, infectious, corrosive, poisonous or potentially hazardous. If you would put a ‘Mr. Yuck” sticker on the item, consider it HHW. 

HHW products contain hazardous ingredients that poses human health and environmental risks when managed improperly.

  • Accepted Materials include: Aerosols, Antifreeze, Batteries, Bleach, Brake fluid, Bug sprays, Cleaning products, Degreasers, Driveway sealer, Fertilizer, Flammable liquids, Fluorescent Bulbs & CFL’s, Gasoline/Kerosene/Fuel/Fuel additives, Lawn Chemicals, Mercury, Motor oil/Waste oil, Mouse/Rat poison, Oil based/Latex paint, Oven cleaner, Paint stripper, Pesticides, Pool chemicals, Propane tanks/Compressed gas cylinders, Stains/Finishes, Starter fluid, Transmission fluid , Turpentine, Weed killer
  • Unaccepted materials include: Ammunition or explosives, Asbestos (crumbly), Medical wastes, Prescription medications, Smoke detectors
  • If you are unsure about what to do with a product, Do NOT put it down the drain. Hazardous wastes can be a danger to the sewer lines and to the workers who service the sewer system, to your neighbors, and to the waste water treatment plant. 

Latex Paint

If the paint can is not full of latex paint, it may be solidified at home for disposal in your Gray Top trash cart. For the home disposal process, wear old clothing, gloves and eye protection and work in a well-ventilated area. Add kitty litter or sawdust to the open latex paint cans. Stir in enough kitty litter or sawdust to achieve a very thick paste. Leave the lid off can until dry. Once dry, place the cans inside a trash bag and place inside your Gray Top trash cart for collection. Be sure no liquid is left as liquid is not allowed in the landfill. 

For small amounts of paint, apply the paint to newspaper or magazines. Let Dry. Place the painted newspaper or magazines inside a trash bag and place inside your Gray Top trash cart for collection.

Motor Oil

Pour all collected used oil into a clean, empty, sealable container such as a plastic milk jug. Specialized used oil containers can be purchased at local auto parts stores.  Do not mix used motor oil with any other substances, such as antifreeze, paint or other chemicals. Call ahead to confirm ECS&R accepts used oil. At the ECS&R Facility, ask an attendant where to deposit used oil. Don't leave your container of used oil unattended. Don’t forget to take your empty container home with you to use again.


  • Regular household (alkaline) batteries can be disposed of in your regular trash collection.
  • Rechargeable batteries, as well as lithium, silver oxide, and mercury batteries, should be dropped off in special collection boxes located at most home improvement stores or at the ECS&R facility.
  • Car batteries can be dropped off at the ECS&R facility or businesses that sell them.  Fees apply.

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) & Fluorescent Tubes

CFLs & Fluorescent Tubes contain mercury and shouldn’t be thrown in the trash. CFLs & Fluorescent Tubes can be dropped off in special collection boxes located at most home improvement stores or at the ECS&R facility.

Prescription drugs and over the counter medications Safe, secure disposal (never flush)

Donate items